johnnyl

Sep 28, 2005
I bought a 2001 Yz250. Top end power seems poor. Bike pulls well down low, then runs out of steam feeling lean. It has new crank bearings and seals, barrell re-plate and piston kit, plug, air filter, new jets stock apart from a leaner 48 pilot. Ignition timing and float level ok. The power valve appears to be working ok but is it possible to check if the valve is timed correctly and opening fully? Any other ideas?

johnnyl

Sep 28, 2005
Thanks for the reply. The silencer is stock although needs re-packing, will do that today. The reeds also looked good last time I checked. I will test the bike later after the re-pack and may be able to give more information.

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
No problem mate...did you use the dowel pin to help remove the power valve push rod assembly? If you don't use the pin you can bend the rod assembly and that would make the power valve function improperly.

johnnyl

Sep 28, 2005
I stripped and re-built the powervalve today, all seems ok. I don't have the proper dowel tool but used a screwdriver of the same diameter which worked well. Also re-packed the silencer.
Bike sounded good on startup, powervalve mech seems to work well. It is definitely opening fully.
Didn't get time to test so will do tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks John.

johnnyl

Sep 28, 2005
This is my first motocross bike, I have not ridden any other 250 only smaller bikes. It feels quite fast but not nearly the white knuckle ride I expected. Doesn't lift the front like I have read it should. I am certain that the power dies off far too soon around about where I feel it should pull really hard.

johnnyl

Sep 28, 2005
The power valve settings appear fixed.My problem was that the centre valve had some marks on it suggesting it was sticking at some point. I just cleaned and lubricated it. That worked for me. Have you torn down your powervalve? The reason I ask is that the ramps for the sub exhaust ports can be fitted reversed, this will give a flat top end.

Top Bottom