250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
A few weeks ago I was sitting on the sofa, nursing my bruised and torn hands/fingers, and thinking about my broken clutch lever, and front brake lever (bent right back against the bars),
and the thought finally hit me, Bark Busters.

I don't race, but I do a lot of woods riding, and I have a truly special talent for dropping my bike. So I informed my friends and parents that I was adding bark busters to the long list of things I want for my bike, when I can afford it.

To my dismay, practicially everybody told me that bark busters were one of the most dangerous things you can put on a bike. I was told that my hands could slip down in front of the bars (which I have actually done many times) and that the busters could catch me and break my, arms, wrists, or fingers. And that in the event of a bad crash (especially OTB )if I got caught by the busters, could end up cartwheeling down the mountain along with my bike, instead of flying free. I must admit, in a scenario like that, I would rather fly free than be cuaght up in a flailing bike.

So, my quetion is, what are your thoughts ,feelings and experiences with bark busters ?? Are they worth the risk?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
They are absolutely worth the risk. I've used them for years and consider them essential equipment for woods riding. I do know one person who broke his wrist going OTB and catching his hand on the guard. But brands like the Cycra Pro Bend have a downturn that provides some extra clearance.

Besides saving levers, the busters protect your fingers big time, they keep the front brakes from getting applied by a tree or branch, and they keep your hands warmer and drier.

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
I've used Bark Busters or something similar since I first started riding and couldn't imagine riding in the woods without them. Every time I ride I end up thinking how glad I am I have them.
Only once have I wiped out and had my hand get caught between the bars and my handguards in the way you described. My hand was bruised but not broken. Even then, I never considered removing them. I'd rather live with the possibility of a broken wrist in a freak accident than the certainty of broken fingers every time I ride.
If you're concerned about not having enough room, try ProBend handguards. Their shape gives you alot more room. They are more expensive than your basic types of guards, so you'll have to weigh the cost vs. benefit for yourself.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I would never ride in the woods without them, but when I hit the MX track they come off. You can get your arms caught in them but it usually happens after going over the bars from a bad landing on the track.

Like everyone else has said you have to weigh the dangers. Bikes are dangerous so do what you can to protect yourself in most cases. In the woods bark busters can protect you from smashed knuckles, etc as well as saving your levers in simple tip overs. I haven't replaced a lever since installing mine. Well worth the risk.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Another :cool: for hand guards.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've only seen third- or fourth-hand testimony about broken wrists and whatnot with the bark busters (a guy told me about a friend of his brother's half-step neighbor-in-law . . .), but I have first-hand experience with them keeping my knuckles from getting busted on trees and rocks and whatnot.

go for 'em.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I have Sunline Enduro hand guards on my 450..

I went down yesterday in the woods, I hate the woods... The left side hit pretty hard, broke off the hand guard, but my hand was fine.

I'd hate to think what would have happened had my hand hit first!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I use the Acerbis hand guards. Would not think of riding in the woods without them. They have saved my hands more times than I can count. They will pay for themselves by eliminating broken levers. :nod:

I agree with the rest, well worth the risk. :cool:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
As I have said before:

Anything with wheels attached is dangerous and can cause injury.

This includes handguards.

An accident may occur.

Please wear the appropriate safety gear.

:nod: :) :ride:

Last edited:

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
proper installation is important. many people install them rotated too high up - so yes, you could get caught in them. its less likely if installed lower and they still protect your hands. people see roost deflectors on MX bikes and then install their bark busters in the same high position - that is a bad thing. roost deflectors are only plastic shields with only one attachment point where the BBs have a metal guard and are attached to bar ends and mid-bar (if going to do any good when impacting the tree)...

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
Bark busters are a must I think. Even if I did MX regularly I would still have them. In fact I've grown so acustumed to them that I just hit trees and not think about it. Then when I jumped on a bike with out them I go to blast through some tree or bush and I catch the front brake and crash. Any bark busters are worth your money. Just a suggestion for you. Try some Tusk handguards from rockymountianmc.com. they're cheap but really sturdy. :cool: ride hard bro

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
Ol'89r said:
I use the Acerbis hand guards. Would not think of riding in the woods without them. They have saved my hands more times than I can count. They will pay for themselves by eliminating broken levers. :nod:

I agree with the rest, well worth the risk. :cool:

And I agree with the agree on Acerbis hand guards. :cool:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
In case you are still uncertain, BBs are a must for trail riding, you'll never break another lever again as long as you have them on. However I do take them off for the dunes and the track. In the dunes there's nothing that you need protection from. And after going bar to bar with someone on the track and having my lovely BBs latch onto their handlebars and take us both down, I've decided they aren't quite necessary there either.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
love my acerbis probends! It just felt like something was missing when riding my new bike before I had the BB's on (kind of like riding without boots or knee guards).

Top Bottom