KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am surprised no one has already posted info on this race:

http://bajaacres.com/otsego-club-pre-event-video-2009/

While I dont think racers will actually get to roost across a green or sandtrap - this race sure does look like fun. They will have an "enduro bikes" class (basically must have a headlight powered by the bikes charging system), and a uh... Clydesdale Class for those of us a bit more portly than we should be! :yell:

More info here:

http://bajaacres.com/events/glmx-grand-prix-at-otsego-club/

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Looks like fun. No way I could get both tires off the ground long enough to clear a golf green. Is there a penalty for coming up short? Financial penalty that is?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Just replace your divits!

I don't think they will actually ride on the golf course...just the ski hills and surrounding stuff. But ohh man..can you just see your tires hooking up across that green?

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Some of my friends and I have been looking pretty seriously at this. It looks like a ton of fun screaming up those huge hills!!!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think they will actually ride on the golf course

One of the ATV trails I rode in WI this summer uses a golf course. The trail crosses through the middle of the course; going across fairways. There's signs noting to stop and watch for golfers tee'n off to your left/right every so far. Pretty neat.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Get out your wallet for this event, it is a GLMX promoted event AKA (the BAD GUY'S who DITCHED D-14) & Patrick from Baja is promoting it, which means he's in it for the $$$$$ Rider BEWARE!!!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I found out they do require you to be a member of GLMX....but you can buy only a weekend membership for $5.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
D.LEATHERS said:
Get out your wallet for this event, it is a GLMX promoted event AKA (the BAD GUY'S who DITCHED D-14) & Patrick from Baja is promoting it, which means he's in it for the $$$$$ Rider BEWARE!!!!

From what I recall on the web site, registration fees etc. sounded pretty reasonable - $30 per race class, $10 gate, $5 GLMX. Only catch is if you bring others along with to watch or pit, they all pay the gate fee to. If I brought along one other person, total cost = $55. Many enduros now are $50, some $55.

ChrisKring

Jun 20, 2006
you pay that $10 for spectators at any harescramble or MX race.

Anyway, unless I am missing something, they pulled out of D14 since they felt they were not getting enough marketting for the money. Wasn't it a business decision? I also heard that D14 was pressuring some of the tracks not to hold practice days on the weekends to try to get more people to race.

Anyway, the place has some big hills. I have raced my mountain bike there back around 200 or so. I am debating on portland or this race or both. We'll see.

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
I says on the race schedule the enduro guys would ride on Saturday for 50 minutes and Sunday for 50 minutes I wonder if this is 30 bucks per day or for the both. Is it the same track for everybody? Either way it's less than 2 hour of riding time or am I'm missing something..

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
its a different race both days, so $30 for saturday and $30 for sunday. also the race is 1 35 minute moto, with a "parade" lap before. it would be the same track for everyone, but i heard they may change the track between days.

TJ, do they have an antique class for your CR?
its not antique, its frankenbike.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
tdunn976 said:
This means if there is no "Lightning" it won't come to life! :nener:

It came to life once and tried to kill him twice. I would stay away from that franken machine.

whitebear

Sep 17, 2007
3-5 guys from enduro pre rode track and gave feed back to layout and speed. They said that it was a great time and will be doing the event! Guys were watching Wey run up one of the hill WFO with one hand on the gas and other hand up looking at his watch! My room is booked!

E T

Apr 1, 2004
JUST A WARNING: Being a past motocrosser, ive had a few expirences with Baja Acres, who are putting this thing on. Since its new owners, i have lost count of the heli-vacs during races, and the track has become more and more unsafe with bigger/ gnarlier/ steeper jumps. So just an FYI, it may be a grand prix, but considering who is putting it on.... dont be supprised if unsafe or dangerous. But on the flip side... Baja has the potential to do very well at this too. it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Baja was my very first motoX ever - Track was long. In the first moto I forgot which one of the two hills you could launch off.....Never really like the feeling I got when driving into that place.

4mxonly

Sep 24, 2009
Hey Guys, excuse me for being a newbie here on the dirt rider forum, but I just wanted to address a concern. In reply to ET's statement about Baja Acres being the promoter for the event, the GLGP is a partnership of efforts between Osprey's Jason Biber and Baja. Prior to the event, we brought out about 10 riders (who tested and evaluated potential layouts) who we thought were a good cross section of different ages and abilities.

Furthermore, Michigan's own Nick Wey has been a huge help in track design efforts. Surprisingly, Nick's input has been 100% towards keeping it safe, and we are very fortunate to have him as part of the team.

So to answer your question, will the track be as extreme as some of Baja Acre's obstacles? - No. In fact, we are utilizing the natural lay of the land and will not be putting in any big supercross-style obstacles. Will it have the fun events that are synonymous with the Baja Brawl? - Hell Yes! We have tons of events after the races, because that's our philosophy: Don't assume the race is fun enough, give the families, friends (and racers) something fun to do too.

4mxonly

Sep 24, 2009
And TJ, I would definitely bring your 500. Tom Z of supersports had his out there and made 3/10 mile hill climbs look like child's play.

Top Bottom