Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
fatherandson said:
I am going to try to make it. Jason and I have had a couple of conversations about a possible Family Enduro at this location.
:cool:

With a pool and sauna onsite, we may get spoiled with the staging amenities :)

... But I know my wife and girls would sign-up in a heartbeat.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Fred T [I said:
As far as one 35 min Moto at the GP I wonder of the moto guys :nener: can ride that long before they have to powerwash their bikes and shine them up? :yikes: They are used to a couple laps and then hanging out for 4 hours, thats like a whole day's riding all at once for them[/I]

:rotfl: :rotfl:

And Jeez you get to pay a gate fee+ $35 entry fee + membership to ride 35 minutes, thats like more that $1.50 a minute........that track would have to be pretty damn awesome to be worth that IMHO. Do they have hot Monster energy girls on the podium?

Sounds like one of those bars with the expensive cover-charges where the ladies dance on poles......you end up paying a lot of money for no action......except for Scotty B.....he manages to bring 'em home for 3 hrs plus a lap. :laugh:

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
Damn shoulder surgery. :bang: This race looks AWESOME. I hope to God they have this race next year when I can ride again.

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
What's the story on that, are they putting in a new golf course next year? Will the one that's getting trashed be salvageable for golf next year? I dont play golf or anything but I cant imagine the course would be usable for golf anytime to soon? Isn't it a golf resort in the summer?....ed

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I dont think they are holding the race on the golf course. The green-jumping and sand trap scenes in the promo video are just fantasy teasers. When it's all said & done, there looks like they will have a great ORV track AND a golf course!

4mxonly

Sep 24, 2009
Ward said:
Damn shoulder surgery. :bang: This race looks AWESOME. I hope to God they have this race next year when I can ride again.
They will definitely have this race again next year. The Family company that owns the resort are very committed to this event (as well as others that are in the works).

4mxonly

Sep 24, 2009
ws6transam said:
I dont think they are holding the race on the golf course. The green-jumping and sand trap scenes in the promo video are just fantasy teasers. When it's all said & done, there looks like they will have a great ORV track AND a golf course!
You nailed it. The video is an idea we had to make every mxer's dream a reality (through video anyway). The actual track is layed out on their ski hills, one of which has the highest elevation change in lower michigan. In fact, one of the lifts will be running to allow spectators to get an aerial view of the track (which winds under the lift chairs a few times).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I was passing through Gaylord yesterday, so stopped by the Otsego Club to check it out. Pulling into the place it reminds you of an old-world Bavarian ski lodge (similar to Boyne Highlands).

It's not until you walk to the backside of the lodge and view the massive valley below that you realize what an incredible course this will be. If you've only ridden in the midwest, this will be unlike anything you've ridden before (or may likely ever ride again). Huge elevation drops and climbs, naturally rolling grassy fields, and thick forest areas cover the entire valley. The fall colors are just beginning to show, and I imagine that in 2 weeks the valley will be a sea of bright orange, red, and yellow.

I hope the event is a huge success, as this is a very unique piece of property with nice, family-friendly accommodations right there onsite. And the town of Gaylord is right there too, full of shops, bars, restaurants, and other hotels.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
I stopped and checked this place out yesterday as best I could (drove down to the bottom the ski hill) The track was not all maked out yet but we could see a few of the sections that were staked out. This will indeed be a unique event. As much as I would rather support a D14 event I may do this anyway. Good tires will be must. Lots of steep hills and huge off cambers.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I had emailed Baja with a couple questions - could not resist the chance to poke some fun at MX guys at enduros being baffled by timekeeping etc.... here is the reply I got (some what tongue in cheek)

(from Rosanne with Baja)

We will be keeping time...you will not have to worry about that. We will be using red flags, white flags, and checker flags. There will be a riders meeting at the start of your race. It will work like this...meeting...hot lap...race 35 minutes. No gate...Live engine(Sorry!! :( )

Yes...you will have certain options on the track. For example...go around a turn or climb a wall...your choice. Does that make sense? explaining this correctly?

In my reply I suggested we skip all this white and red flag crap and just go straight to the checkered flag...

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
KTM Mike said:
In my reply I suggested we skip all this white and red flag crap and just go straight to the checkered flag...

Awesome reply :cool:

I got the room deal and my wife bought up the whole thing (it is our anniversary) I am not sure what kind of start we will have (will they bring in MX gates?) and I'm not sure how smooth it will go being a first time event and all. I plan to ride the 45+ class wich is the first moto at 9AM. I checked the weather and it looks like a high of 43. I am hoping the MX fools over dress and sweat themselves. I think it will be interesting to be in the first moto and then I'll be done unless I choose to run another class later or Sunday.

Fred T. might have been right when he said "GP racers are washed up MX wanna be enduro riders who can't tell time, let alone keep it".

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
According to Roseanne - no gate, live engine start, with flags. She asked for suggestions from us Woodsies...I suggested a small section with say, rocks and logs, maybe some trees 28" apart...if you are good at that stuff you can get through more quickly than the main course...if you are not good at that stuff, the main MX course would be faster.

I will ride Enduro class..and may do 1 other before that...not sure which... D class perhaps? (hey, I'm not to proud to admit I've never done a MX... and I am lazy outta shape, and have not done much riding this year...)

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
I do not like having options when we only get the one practice lap. Choosing the correct option may be like a crap shoot. I would rather have no options (and make all the mtoheads go through the woods).

I am trying to get a lights hookup for my 300 and may ride the Enduro class, that is only if I liked the 9am moto and I'm not already drinking by the time the Enduro moto @ 2pm.

Sorry if I am upsetting any diehard D-14 guys. Most of you know I support D-14 a lot and will continue to do so. This is a interesting opportunity and I do not want to miss out. It would be really cool if we could get these guys to run a D-14 HS at this place.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
09oneL said:
...Sorry if I am upsetting any diehard D-14 guys.
I think it's great that you're supporting a brand-new off-road motorcycle race in Michigan - Period.

The likelihood of them putting on a 2nd annual, 3rd annual, etc. will be largely dependent on the turnout and success of this first event.

And you're right... it's a very unique race in terms of format, venue, and location.... I've never heard of anything like this taking place anywhere in the midwest - ever. And think of what this will do for the town of Gaylord, and in opening up the possibility of having this type of event in other "unique" locations.

:cool:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'm shooting for Sunday in the Enduro class as a possibility if the stars align...

Just last night I finally washed the mud off my bike from the Knuckle Buster, and I have to tear down the right-side case to see if I can fix a shifting problem that started at the Loose Moose (broken shift-rod spring). When I put it all back together during the last tear down, I didn't do something right, and now don't have 1st gear. It's also Zach's homecoming weekend, and we're busy with that too, so my wrenching time is going to be tight.

4mxonly

Sep 24, 2009
Hey guys, just wanted to pass along a note from a guy that joined us on a test ride of the track when it was first laid out:

Hello everyone, thanks for taking a moment to read this. I was fortunate to be invited by Jason ( Otsego club ) and Dave ( Tech Care ) to pre-ride this track with Nick Wey and friends. Here is just a few words to describe it. First let me speak from a little Vet GP experience. I spend my winters out west racing the GP’S and the WORCS races. This track will be an experience like no other in the Mid-West. Yes, I’ve also raced several GNCC’s, including Snowshoe in West Virgina. Because the soil is sandy gravel underneath the grass on the slopes it shouldn’t be to muddy. But, this course is going to be the fastest most riders will ever have experienced! I was able to hit 6th gear on the longest, steepest ski slope on my KTM 450 XCW! Sorry about you guys that only have 5 gears. With proper gearing and tires most racers will be just fine if they just hold the throttle WFO until you reach the top! My only disappointment is that the motos are only 35 min. Out west, we run 45 min and one hour GP’s. What the heck, 35 min. is probably good for all you light weights that have never been out of 4th gear! Just don’t get freaked out dudes and back off the throttle, because I’m going to blow by you! Although, I am slowing down these days, I’m only races three classes and I just turned 55 years old! Good Luck, your going to need it! The Man from Paradine Creek

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Love it when a guy brags about himself and how better/tougher the racing is where he is from. Just remember: The more they brag, the less they have.

Top Bottom