head gaskets(actually big o-rings)'02 RM250

2000FLSTF

May 20, 2003
I went to start my bike last weekend (which usually is 2 kicks at the most) and it wouldn't start. After a bunch of kicks, I pulled the plug....no electrode!! I turned it over a few times without the plug and didn't hear any rattling or anything(like the electrode is loose in there) so I hope it went out of the tailpipe! I put another plug in it, fired right up and rode it all day with no problems.

My question is: Does anyone reuse or can you reuse the o-ring gaskets on the head, if I just want to look in there to see if there was any damage??

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I re-use them too. Don't try that with the paper base gasket though (if you go that far)...a few years ago Team Green lost the Baja 1000 due to a bad base gasket...

flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
Was that the stock plug or a cheapo replacement.
I had heard that Suzuki spec'd those special plugs for just that reason.
I have a few B8EGV's that I've been scared to use.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I usually change the o-rings every other top-end , the inner one gets a bit too soft if it is used for too long. That is , I dont pull the head off to change the piston. If the head comes off , I use new o-rings.

2000FLSTF

May 20, 2003
flyinzuki said:
Was that the stock plug or a cheapo replacement.
I had heard that Suzuki spec'd those special plugs for just that reason.
I have a few B8EGV's that I've been scared to use.

It was the stock plug, which is a BR8EG. I know on the some of the older models they had a special plug because I had a '99 RM250, but according to the NGK website, this is the stock plug.

Thanks for the other replys....

Top Bottom