WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
After looking and test riding everyones bike out, and talking to several riders/DRN members I bought a 09 XC 250. (Sorry Don it is not Blue, it took months for my tailbone to heal.) No more sharing with Bruno on the 300. He does not share very well.

I currently have the bike in my dining room to bond with. I thought it was too clean to be in the grungy garage. Have not even started it, but the boy keeps pushing the e-button.

I decided on this bike because of the transmission. TJ did some checking for me and the gears are a closer match to the CR250 I used to ride and liked. On the 300, I wanted a gear between 1st and 2nd in the tighter woods.

Buying this bike I thought it would be the same as the XCW but with a different transmission but I guess not. I need to buy a different rear fender to be able to bolt the tail light up. It did not come with an ODO. That I am really disappointed and I will need to get one. and the stock one from an XCW is costly. Anyone have a used one for sale? There are a few other differences but nothing I am upset about like the ODO.

I will post some pictures once I get it all the add-ons on it.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Good for you, should be a good ride. Keep an eye on KTMTALK.com for a good deal on the ODO, someone will get rid of one in the for sale section. A want to buy add would also be good. :cool:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Just put a trailtech on it for like $75. You also need a pick up magnet on the brake rotor. I know this because i stole the ODO from my 250 and needed the magnet to get it to work on my 200XC. Both my kids use the trailtechs on their bikes and as long as the don't cartwheel them down the trail they hold up well.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I bought the ICO Dual sport w/o thumb switch. It's simple to use. I wish I had the thumb switch, it wasn't offered when I bought mine, also I bought the metal guard to protect it. Well worth the extra cash. (ICO enduro computers)

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Congrats on the new ride. :cool:
It's just as well that you didn't go blue as I really didn't think you could handle the power anyways. :nener:
We all know Bruno wouldn't let you get a 4T anyways. :laugh:
Don

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Fred T said:
Just put a trailtech on it for like $75. You also need a pick up magnet on the brake rotor. I know this because i stole the ODO from my 250 and needed the magnet to get it to work on my 200XC. Both my kids use the trailtechs on their bikes and as long as the don't cartwheel them down the trail they hold up well.

I have one hanging on the wall complete with the Billet protector. It was on my YZ400. I bought a pickup for my CRF but never used it. I keep thinking I will find a use for it but havent yet.

So I might be able to be talked out of it ;)

PS: I have heard that if you e-mail trailtech and tell them that the pickup for your KTM quit working that they will warranty it and send you a new one....just what I have heard anyways :whoa:

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Luanne, Break in procedure is key to long life and proper performance. I know you tested alot of bikes to make your choice, and that 250 will be a good one. How about we have a trail ride, with all of the donor, test bike owners. We can pass your new one back and forth, make sure its working properly. I'd promise to go slow. :laugh:

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
:eek: I would go slow also. Of course I would have to see how the "race ready" suspenstion would react if a tree jumped in the way......... :eek:
Don

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
YZMAN400 said:
I have one hanging on the wall complete with the Billet protector. It was on my YZ400. I bought a pickup for my CRF but never used it. I keep thinking I will find a use for it but havent yet.

So I might be able to be talked out of it ;)

Bruno ordered one today for me from a dealership. I have used trailtech in the past and was not happy with its long term performance.

Thanks for the offer.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Denny,
OK, deal on the trail ride. I think I owe tons of people a trail ride then. You, Don M, Sean, Heidi, and Heather. Don M. and Sean should be able to ride it the entire trail ride for me to pay back.

I am planning on camping somewhere the first full week of April to ride. At least that's what I want to do weather permitting. I post later to see if anyone wants to join.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Don Marsh said:
Congrats on the new ride. :cool:
It's just as well that you didn't go blue as I really didn't think you could handle the power anyways. :nener:
We all know Bruno wouldn't let you get a 4T anyways. :laugh:
Don

I considered a 4t until I rode Sean's 250 at Evart. I loved that bike. We'll see if I can handle the power of this 250. TJ is trying to scare me saying the head is different and the power valve will be more wicked than the 300. But I thought the Cr had a wicked power valve. Someone tell him to shut up.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
WomanRider said:
I considered a 4t until I rode Sean's 250 at Evart. I loved that bike. We'll see if I can handle the power of this 250. TJ is trying to scare me saying the head is different and the power valve will be more wicked than the 300. But I thought the Cr had a wicked power valve. Someone tell him to shut up.

TJ....SHUT UP

ChrisKring

Jun 20, 2006
you can drill 2 holes in the rear fender you have and bolt up the KTM rear light. You have to thru bolt it rather than just screwing into the fender. Looks a bit of a hack but it's free.

HeidiB

Mar 7, 2006
Congratulations LouAnn I'm really excited for you. That's a sweet bike for sure!!

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Lou Ann,

Where are the pictures?

be sure to get wide angle pics so we all can see the inside of your house too - LOL

Thanks for the deal on the tires! They will fit my 300 and this way I'll swap out with the ones on the bike that I put screws in for my whooping 2 times I rode this winter.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
The Orange Kool-aid Family

Hey Luann,
Congrats on the new scoot :cool: I guess I'm going to have to find a new HONDA family to hang out with,you guys are off the deep end with KTM'S :bang:

Later,
Dave L.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
koolaid.jpg
Drink up DAVE. It's not as bad as you might think! :rotfl:

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
The orange kool aid is GOOD

If you can't beat them ............

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
D.LEATHERS said:
Hey Luann,
Congrats on the new scoot :cool: I guess I'm going to have to find a new HONDA family to hang out with,you guys are off the deep end with KTM'S :bang:

Later,
Dave L.

I not sure you can call us an orange family yet. We still have 7 hondas, so I think you can still call us an honda family.

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
Congrats on the new bike! :cool:

A couple months ago I picked up a 300xcw from Magic. Been doing the "accessorizing"-----larger tank, DOT tires, Jetting kit, Sicass lighting kit, grip warmers, -------and for the love of Pete the most important thing, the Super Soft seat foam!

Also I pulled the starter and did the KTM bulletin on shimming the intermediate shaft. Jeb over to Ktalk has a link to the bulletin in his sig. Mine needed 3 shims to put it into spec. Some folks are also sealing the side cover and running a half cup of trans fluid in there to keep all gears lubed and moisture out.

Again congratulations on the purchase. Good looking bike for sure.

Shannon.

Top Bottom