JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I thought I would try this in the ST forum first.

I took the written test for my motorcycle license endorsement today. After sweating through the 20 minute wait she told me I only missed 2 and that I passed. Now I need to do the riding part unfortunately I don’t think my bike would be very good for the test.

I’m looking for a place that will rent a DOT legal bike to a person with a permit only or a private party that’s willing to rent, swap or share their bike for a couple days. Main requirements are DOT legal, registered and insured. I dont know if its good enough but I allready have insurance for my WR. It might carry over to any bike I ride.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Actually Jeff, knowing the test, your bike will be fine if you have the plate and everything for it. It's all about balance, breaking and turning. Having a lighter bike is better and since you've been riding it from the beginning, you'll be fine. Good luck

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
My main concern is the tires and lights. The lighting will actually pass a CA sign off but the head and tail light are not actually DOT certified. Neither are the tires.

If I do take it down there and they refuse to let me use it can they do anything to my registration? As difficult as it was I dont want to jeopardize my reg. at all.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
If the bike has a plate, and is street legal you should have no problem doing the test. I did my test on my DRZ400S, and was the only guy there on a dual sport - sure did get some funny looks from the Harley Crowd :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I see your point. You should ask 89er if you can use the valdez for the test? He's old and will forget you borrowed it, file a stolen report and then I can recover it!:)

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Jeff,

I just took my mc driving test today and they didn't check to see if the lights or stuff like that were DOT. They want proof of insurance, registration and that you know where all of the controls are on the bike. Lights, turn signals, horn, choke ???, throttle, brakes and gear shift. I borrowed my buddy's DRZ400 and it even had a non DOT knobby on it. BTW, it's tough to go through those cones at such a slow speed.

I would think if they had a problem with something not being DOT they would just make you come back with that fixed or another bike. ?????

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Thanks for the info Fred.... Would you mind giving a rundown on the actual test?

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
1) Verify registration and insurance. Just show papers.
2) Bike functionality. They just want to make sure you know where the controls are without you having to hunt for them.
**skills test have to be done without putting a foot down**
3) First skills test. See attached photo. Drive through the cones then keep the fron wheel in the concentric circles then drive back through the cones.
4) Second skills test. Go through the left straight lines, then the opposite direction in the circles and back through the straight lines on the right.
5) fun one. ;) Accelerate through the gears up to 30 or 40 then decelerate through the gears.

I think the cones were about 5 or 6 feet apart and the circle might have been around 15 - 20 feet in diameter. And the lines were about a foot apart. ???

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• drivingtest.jpg
    drivingtest.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 109

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by a454elk
Having a lighter bike is better and since you've been riding it from the beginning

I guess I should let the other tech.'s ride the bikes I set up? Seince I ride a 125 in the dirt. :)

Took out a ZX12R yesterday after changing his front tire :aj: Local cop pulled me over for doing a 100mph run between two of the interstate exits. :eek:

Got out of it as soon as I told him I was test driving a new tire. KOR my shop and the local constabulary as well as the staties have an agreement for test drives. If I get pulled over show the maintenance order for the machine and it's all good :)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by IrishEKU

. KOR my shop and the local constabulary as well as the staties have an agreement for test drives. If I get pulled over show the maintenance order for the machine and it's all good :)

:think:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by justql

:think:

Why the thought big guy? Personel at the shop share liability if a product isn't fixed correctly. We offer a discount to any local Law Enforcement officer in the area in trade of making sure the bikes that we work on are SAFE. I personally will not let an owner ride out of the shop after I have worked on his machine w/o a test drive. When it comes to street bikes we take it SERRIOUSLY! so far there is no liability to our work on them due to our commitment to safety. For the off road community they are a more knowledgeable group of folks that "know" when there is a problem(well most of them) and give us the best info on how to rebuild their machines.

My .02
Phillip

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Phillip,
I certainly know and understand why a shop would do a 100mph shakedown after a repair, the liability of sending a bike out w/o checking its work is too great.

As for taking my M endorsement ride, I was on a 700# Harley, talk about a pain in da arse, ... balance at 1 mph is a yatch! The DMV official wanted me to do a rolling stall and an immediate restart, I told him "no! it's fuel injected, the system has a 3 second pump charge before you should hit the start button." he said to do it anyway. I said no, get your boss, or give me something harder to do like riding through fire. He started laughing and told me I passed.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Great Fred, you gave away the test, now EVERYONE will know it.:| It's supposed to be secret man!:)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jeff.

You are more than welcome to use my Beemer. Just dont tell anyone that I own a street bike. :scream: Oh Crap. :confused: :)

You can also use the XR Valdese if you would like, but the turn signals are broken off. Someone keeps throwing the darn thing on the ground. ;)

Just let me know.

Ol'89r

Last edited:

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
The secret is driving gawd awful slow. I put my foot down once and the lady let me try it again. I'm glad there's no video tape of me wobbling around that course. I ride pretty slow so you would think that I would pass that test easily.

I can't imagine taking that one any street bike. Hats off to you guys that have. :worship:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You should have brought the twins with ya, that way one can hang off each side like a Chinese acrobat show!:)

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Funny!!! I think I'll run that by the wife. She shouldn't have a problem with that.

If I would have shown up with the babies hanging off of each grip....1) I would have passed without having to take the test or 2) I would have been arrested on the spot.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
YES!:):)

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Thanks for the off 89'r.

I have a appt. for 11am tomorrow. If they tell me to leave I will give you a call.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Bike was fine :thumb: ......Im an idiot :| .........retest on Tuesday :yeehaw:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
hahaha, what the heck did you do Jeff, ride over the cones, fall off the bike, good luck on Tuesday :thumb:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Let me start by saying I hate tests..

No cones only traffic. The office I went to doesnt use the normal lollipop setup. Instead they have you ride through the parking lot. Well Im doing my laps and I come up on this car parked on the wrong side of the road waiting for what I thought was a motorcycle riders spot. I look to my right and see the rider only putting on his helmet so the car driver waves me by. Apparently there was another car getting ready to back out that I didnt see. It was one of those situations that will probably never happen again but it had to happen in front of the testing monster.

All of this was after another testing lady let a girl pass who shouldnt have. She rode around the parking lot the entire time with her right blinker on. The lady was so frign wobbly I thought she was going to fall over.

Oh well I will go for it again on Tuesday. I should have asked my test lady what day she was off.

Top Bottom