fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The plan is to go for a trail ride on Saturday morning (10/23). The start time will depend on the weather, but everyone should be at the Lansing Motorcycle Clubgrounds by 9:00. Everyone is welcome to camp at the clubgrounds and many of us will. To find the clubgrounds - go 13 miles west on hwy 55 from hwy 27, go 10 miles north on 7 Mile road, at the four way stop continue north, until the pavement ends and turn left. The clubgrounds will be on your left hand side about a half mile from 7 MIle road.
Due to the number of people who attended last year, we are required to get a permit from the DNR. So the trail has yet to be determined, but I am hoping to use the same trail as last year. I think everyone had a good time last year, except for the drowned out KDX (dried out eventually) and the lost wedding ring (found later).
Many people arrive on Friday and do not leave until Sunday afternoon. Dinner is provided on Saturday night - THANK YOU FRED T!! We will ride on both days - rain or shine. Bring the rain gear.
I wish I could say it is a FREE event, but the costs of the permit and insurance need to be covered and the club has a camping fee for non-members. The charge will be $10 per rider ($20 max per family) for the entire weekend. Donations to the club will be accepted, but not expected.
I hope everyone can make it. I have no plans to break my collarbone this year and look forward to riding with my MTR buddies again.

Mike

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
MiScott~ Yeah, im Pat's son.

We just have a 2.? mile trail that we havent been on since the big storm that K.Oed all those trees.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
team-green32 said:
MiScott~ Yeah, im Pat's son.

We just have a 2.? mile trail that we havent been on since the big storm that K.Oed all those trees.

Whats a few little trees gonna do to stop ya? Ride over, around or through them.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
I havent even walked the trail but, its not the logs that bother me, its the little sticks that take out the front wheel.

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I think Creeper roughed it in a tent at a fall TF. He said it wouldn't have been so bad, but he couldn't stop shivering long enough to scrape the frost off the seat of his bike in the morning. It got down to 26 degrees at night that year. But it was sunny!

Maybe if you have one of those -20 degree sleeping bags you'd be OK. Mine's rated at +20, but really only keeps me warm down to about 45. If you have an electric space heater, there are plugs (RV-style) available. But tents don't have the best R-value. This did not work for me at ROS 2 years ago. I can, however, get the inside of my trailer to a toasty 60 degrees with a space heater, even if it's 25 outside.

I think my wife and (all) the kids are coming this fall, so we'll probably take the Badgerman route and get a hotel in Houghton (15-20 mins away). It has an indoor pool and flush toilets. My wife likes that.

Or, if you're real nice and shave your back, Napper will probably let you spoon with him in the van.

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
Or, if you're real nice and shave your back, Napper will probably let you spoon with him in the van.

And just when I thought he was giving me good info, he throws the sucker punch! :yikes:

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Man,

Spend a little time away from the PC, and people start talking about you! Actually Mike, I screwed up, and the great steel removal process doesn't happen until the 29th. (That plate is gonna make a wicked Christmas tree ornament!!) I just might be able to squeeze this one in. Maybe I can re-break it while there so that the removal process can be a little easier? Heck, I might even be able to do it myself at that point? Now where's my electric drill? :yikes:

I remember the tent in the frost trip that year (2002). Woo wee was that cold at night. I slept in my coat if that helps give you a visual. The only thing that made it bearable was that we had an electric heater in the tent with us. Of course, we kept tripping the breaker on the campsite. I think we thawed back out somewhere around Ann Arbor after we left.

So, if I go, does anyone mind if I light a campfire in my tent this year?

-Kurt

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I had a chance to check out some of the trail for Trailfest this weekend. Most of it is in SAWEEET condition. My advice to the attendees....do NOT do anything Stupid (for example - break your collarbone) before this event. Take it from me, it is a good time attend this event, but you have to ride this trail. I can guarantee that no "couches" will be allowed on some of these trails.

We will be running a mixture of ORV trail, route, and some extra special trail that you have to see to believe. Most of the trail you saw last year, but we have a couple of suprises for the hard core trail riders (and spectator spots for those who would prefer to watch).

In a couple of weeks we will need to get a better idea of the number of attendees. Fred needs to know for dinner on Saturday night and I need to know how many riders plan to attend.

We are planning to have mini bike entertainment (not a race) before dinner on Saturday. I would prefer that the night lights stay home, but I have already heard some protests.

If you had a good time last year, I hope this year is more enjooyable. I KNOW I will have more fun, because I plan to ride NOT watch!!!!

Come early (Friday) and stay late (Sunday) to enjoy the entire weekend!!

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Mike, I'm in for Friday night and Saturday. Missed the last two years, ain't missin this one!

Early predictions....Pumkin Sweep, our prize fighter won't damage his nose, and Napper takes the mini event!

Oh, one more, SmutDog and me will begin bench racin smack talkin with each other effective October 1st! :nener:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Prolly 3 from the Dixon family. Mike is the nice spectating spot on the grounds? Like maybe 3.6 miles of trail?

M

Mavis_1

Tom Dixon? Your Daves boy arent you? If so tell Dave Travis Norkowski said hi! So whats up with this? Is it a organized ride? Race? Just what is it. Im originally from Kalkaska and would love to come if its an organized ride. I may only spectate if its a race. What do I need to ride? Just a Helmet & Bike?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Tom,
Any riding on the clubgrounds may be limited for the adults....since we should not be riding on the hill and some of the event trail crossed the main trail. We will have to see.
Trailfest is not a race, it is an organized trail ride.
MM

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Travis, yeah my dad is Dave. Did you work at CarQuest with him? Your name definitely sounds familiar. You should come on down to Trailfest man, it's a riot! Great people, great trail, and lots of laughs!

M

mavis_1

Yes Tom I did work with him at Carquest. He also worked with my Grandpa at A-1. You probly know him as well. He was the older guy named Doug that used to work nights at Pick-Kwik. Im going to plan on being there. Do I need any special gear to ride there? All I have is a helmet and a bike. Also is there a website with specific times and such?

Thanks
Travis

Curt_704

Nov 7, 2001
fatherandson,

A couple of us Indiana guy's are planning a mid October Michigan trip and if the dates align,
I'd be very interested in join your group for a day. What are the legal requirements? ORV sticker
and a spark arrester? Plate?

Thanks,
Curt

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Curt_704 said:
fatherandson,

A couple of us Indiana guy's are planning a mid October Michigan trip and if the dates align,
I'd be very interested in join your group for a day. What are the legal requirements? ORV sticker
and a spark arrester? Plate?

Thanks,
Curt

ORV sticker and spark arrestor.

SweepRider

Mar 14, 2002
I thought I'd kick this thread up a notch and remind you guys that this is not just a kitchen-pass weekend. Please encourage your wives, daughters, girlfriends to join us. Erin, Sally, Hannah, and I would love some company. We don't go fast (well, I don't go fast) and it's really fun to have some bench riding stories of our own to share around the camp fire.

On another note, Badgerman is planning on doing some baking in the next couple weeks. woo hoo!

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
SweepRider..thanks for bumping the thread. For me, this is all about the kitchen-pass weekend!

I am counting the days until TF :aj:

Is anybody else ready?

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
I cant wait for trailfest! It will be my first ride since july. I threw out my back first week in sept and havent been able to ride since :( I was wondering if trailfest would be a good place to Introduce My brother and his son to michigan. I got them hooked on riding at the end of last season. They go about every other week and ride at a local moto track. Do you guys think they could handle the single track we will be riding up there.My nephew is 14 and tey both ride kdx's.Thanks Curtis

Top Bottom