LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
hehehe

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm not sure exactly what has been said. I know it started out about moving DirtWeek to the spring, but looks as if it has also morphed into moving DirtWeek to another location.

It will be hard to find somewhere else with amenities such as on-site trail riding, the 500 being just a few miles away, good pit area, a kiddie track, a first-rate moto track, being centrally located, and the Kenny factor, too. There are places I'm sure that shine in one or two categories, but to have such a variety, CL is hard to beat. This year, even though attendance was down, was the most enjoyable yet! Why mess with a good thing?

There will always be people who say it is too far, no matter where DW goes. There will always be people to complain about something. It just seems like CL has an awful lot going for it...

Last edited:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Actually, It wasn't about moving dirtweek... It was about making another dirtweek in the spring, after school is out.

Mrs.YZ165

Sponsoring Member
Dec 20, 2004
Dirtweek anytime is a good idea, YZ165 still smiles anytime I say the word....I would like to thank all of you for taking care of the hubby for that week and his buddy (Oct 2005)....You guys are the best just like when talking to you all on the website!!!!

Whatever you guys decide please talk Matt into bringing the girls and myself!!!! We would love to meet all of you too!!!!

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Holy crap! He's married! The way that he was coming on to me I thought he was... yanno.... gay.

Just kidding, it was great to meet him, he definately made himself at home there (not a shy fella), maybe next year the whole 165 family can come. DW is hard to explain, you just have to experience it.

Matt and I are talking about trying to get together for a ride in Lubbock as it is between you guys and me. Funny thing about this damn website, you make friends from all over the the place, DW brings us all to one spot, like a family reunion.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
wow, there's a Mrs., I should have known that Matt had to get his "coolness" from someone behind the scenes...and yes, it took me about three seconds after reading Thump's post to find out how far away Lubbock TX is (I don't know where anything is, terrible at geography), too bad it's so far away from Iowa, I've still got vacation time to burn, we could have a mini dirt week during the winter.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Brian said:
It will be hard to find somewhere else with amenities such as on-site trail riding, the 500 being just a few miles away, good pit area, a kiddie track, a first-rate moto track, being centrally located, and the Kenny factor, too.

I can think of 4 places on the East Coast within 5 hours of me that can compete with Cooperland... with the exception of the Kenny factor and being centrally located.

Ivan

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
stanbagster,

I see your point, but the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory doesn't totally fly. Okie has been pretty cool about it, but I would suspect that with around 100 attendees or even maybe 200, financially the ship can't float, year after year. At least not with all of the bells and whistles that we associate with DW. So, there is an attempt being made to find out, other than the obvious (gas prices and hurricanes) why such a slim turnout. I believe there are a certain number of folks that are either bored with Cooperland, or they are just too far away to make it practical.

Sure, if the official DW doesn't continue, there will still be organized meetings such as Wardy's and Renoe. Lots of fun, just not the same though. Smaller, no official events and less organized.

By the way Brian, have you torn those forks apart yet?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
motometal said:
Sure, if the official DW doesn't continue, there will still be organized meetings such as Wardy's and Renoe. Lots of fun, just not the same though. Smaller, no official events and less organized.

you guys that don't come to justql's farm ride on memorial weekend are missing out on a good one.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Thump said:
Holy crap! He's married! The way that he was coming on to me I thought he was... yanno.... gay.

That's funny right there I don't care who.........Wait a minute.......... :bang:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
There is a place in Columbia MO, which has a pretty good MX track, its a riding park supported by the state, camping hook ups, etc. They host a few races a year there and may not be "exclusive" but during the week likely not many ride.
It is really hard to beat Cooperland.
Also food for thought, moving the time frame more then a month of so could make for another low turn out. Just because vaction time and "just doing one" may factor in?
Doing this event before kids are out of school wouldn't work well.
Was at Casey all weekend this weekend, it now has more parking then before, track is in the normal shape pretty good! Trails and grass track all being ripped on witht the HS races.
Not cooperland by any means, but a good place that is accessable, not sure on affordable.

wardy

The OTHER location named in here close to FVOR wouldn't work well to much tension LOL, but sad to say it would handle DW ok, just nothing like cooperland.

Mrs.YZ165

Sponsoring Member
Dec 20, 2004
Holy crap! He's married! The way that he was coming on to me I thought he was...yanno....gay.

Thump all I said is that he was married......who knows about all the rest....

No really I am JUST KIDDING!!!! He got some flack for not mentioning the fact he had a lovely wife he left at home to take care of the kids (I had to take a weeks vacation too, to stay home with them!) while he went and played. I guess he can call that his birthday present! Ha Ha

Hope next time we do get to meet everyone!!!

Last edited:

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
Centrally located is good. But just curious: Which state or region has the highest number of active DRN members? Don’t know if that would be an easy thing to figure out, but if there is a region that clearly has a definite majority . . . Numbers would most probably go up if a suitable location could be found with in that region or at least on the edge of it.

As others have said, any move is going to make it hard for some to attend, but numbers would go up if a move is made that makes it possible for, at least the leading majority to attend. I know there are other factors but just a thought.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Mrs.YZ165 said:
Whatever you guys decide please talk Matt into bringing the girls and myself!!!! We would love to meet all of you too!!!!

My wife has a way of talking me into things! Maybe you two should get together and discuss some of the finer points of marriage!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Crunch said:
Centrally located is good. But just curious: Which state or region has the highest number of active DRN members? Don’t know if that would be an easy thing to figure out, but if there is a region that clearly has a definite majority . . . Numbers would most probably go up if a suitable location could be found with in that region or at least on the edge of it.

As others have said, any move is going to make it hard for some to attend, but numbers would go up if a move is made that makes it possible for, at least the leading majority to attend. I know there are other factors but just a thought.
My guess Texas and California probably hold the most and I would guess the Southwest harbors the most regonally

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Actually, Pokie did some numbers ... the midwest was the largest group when we were at Casey, TX & OK didn't make up for that number when we went to CL.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
Actually, Pokie did some numbers ... the midwest was the largest group when we were at Casey, TX & OK didn't make up for that number when we went to CL.

I think Crunch means registered members, not DW attendees.

There are lot's of places that could fill the bill for 45% of the people that come to DW. The rest are up for grabs every year. Too far east and there is a new 55% that will come, too far west and ... well you get the picture.

Reno and Paragon are two regional rides that come to mind that fill the need to gather for many folks that may (will?) never come to DirtWeek. Moab is a ride Gene and I are building up and we hope to get over the participation hump this year.

Frankly, I am frustrated because 144 responses leave the real question unanswered by way too many folks ...
Why not come to DirtWeek?

I would come to DW if it was in Maine, Florida, Washington or SoCal. Why? Because it is a family reunion and I will not miss a family reunion. Some of the places I mention might result in me having to fly. So be it. If I can bring my bikes, I will, but regardless of the location, I will be there.

If people will not drive to the a place near the geographical center of the lower 48, can we really expect to increase participation by people other that folks that already "get it".

As I said way back when, we have had great participation from both coasts in recent years. The last two years have been somewhat unique as far as outside influences go. It has taken an extraordinary commitment to come because of fuel costs and family/personal commitments. I am not trying to slam those that made choices to not come as much as I am trying to recognize that choices will always be part of the decision making process and the stars have been aligned against us.

Again, pick the location and I will attend.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
let's say the magic mileage number is 500.... how many people live within 500 miles of Cooperland? how many live within 500 miles of Casey, Il or Buchanan, Michigan?

All of TX and OK add up to 26 million population (and Houston is more than 500 miles from Stillwater?); add LA,TN, NM,KS,MS,AR and you get approx 44
IL, MI, IN,KY,OH,WI,IA,MO add up to 45 million, + 5 million in Minnesota...totals 51 million
NewEngland Region, Maine to PA is approx 55 million

population density per square mile is of course densest in the east and midwest...

Of course it would be better if we had a "census" of the dirtbike population by these areas, but it don't exist....

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
should make it easy and just randomly pick a drn sponsor, such as EGFM and find out the state that spends the most money there, and find a suitable facility that is closest to the bulk of the spending and go for it, no more fretting. there could even be some sort of contest. sponsors would get overloaded with people trying to get DW in their back yard. put some thought into it and this could be BIG :nod:

oh yeah........and FUN

edit; im on the verge of deciding if i want to go for the mo better, this would be a deal closer for me ;)
need a revalve on my suspension also :boss:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
ChopperDave said:
My wife has a way of talking me into things! Maybe you two should get together and discuss some of the finer points of marriage!

Shut it Dave! ;)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Chili said:
Dang if 500 is the magic number then even Millville falls outside that for me, How about you folks head to Canada? :)

I'm in. I want to go do the July 4th ride that Kokanee and Pinball have one year.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom