YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I see Dave, I thought you ment I needed to use mine........Bla!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What say we get this back on topic ?

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
Tony Eeds said:
I think Crunch means registered members, not DW attendees.
Yup, that's what I was thinking.

Tony Eeds said:
If people will not drive to the a place near the geographical center of the lower 48, can we really expect to increase participation by people other than folks that already "get it".

Good point! There are probably enough riders in any of the regions to make it fly, the problem is getting them to give Dirt Week a try. We all know what will happen if they do. :nod: I caught the bug by reading the DW posts and my wife and I took the chance, packed up our stuff and headed of to OK to meet a bunch of guy’s we didn’t know. Kind of crazy, but we are glad we took the chance. Now we can’t wait for the next one! :yeehaw:

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Maybe a poll would shed more light on the goers/non-goers.
For me and my family, we will drive anywhere to go to DW!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
ChopperDave said:
Maybe a poll would shed more light on the goers/non-goers.
For me and my family, we will drive anywhere to go to DW!

That's a good point...maybe it will. Something to the extent of "What would stop you from attending Dirtweek?"

This year for us it was financials, between moving to Rhode Island earlier in the year, then getting married, it was impossible for us to come up with the money.

But as I've said before, and others have said, I don't care where Dirtweek is, if I've got the money to pay for it, I'm there...and next year I'll be sure to have it. I'm not missing another Dirtweek, I suffered a severe week of depression by missing this year :( .

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If your looking for reasons folks didn't attend I can start off the list although Okie already knows my reasons. The downward spiral started with me having a vacation scheduling conflict with another co-worker for the dates needed to make the trip, I lost the conflict. Well we can still work with it, will just arrive Wednesday instead of Monday like I hoped. Then the kid breaks his leg again, well we can go without the clumsy doofus I tell Char. Then the cost of fuel started spiralling up combined with us getting a Canadian National AX race in our city the weekend of DW. RacerXCanada asked me to cover the race for them and it was an opportunity that I just had a hunch I didn't want to pass up. In the end my hunch paid off as I just sold a shot from that race to a clothing company for use in a RacerX ad. Was it worth missing DW for? in short no but I hope this is just the start of many opportunites in that field for me.

So to summarize I consider myself one of the core folks who would not miss DW except for undue circumstances, yet I missed this year.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So to summarize I consider myself one of the core folks who would not miss DW except for undue circumstances, yet I missed this year.
.. and we didn't like it.

Stuff happens... hurricanes, wars, gas prices, time off, lay off... we are talking aout a hobby here and in the big picture, it takes a back seat to what really matters in life. Very few of us afterall, make our living and support our families riding dirtbikes.

Ya know, as long as DirtWeek survives, even as a small event, it's all good... those that have been and know what it's about will always try to make it. Those that can't will be missed. The "Noobs" that can make it are just rolled into the family... maybe it's small for a couple of years, then BAM!! everyone shows-up and we have a party of Epic Proportions. Who knows? I sincerly missed so many this year, I could start naming names, but honestly want to get some sleep tonight. I also sincerly enjoy'd meeting all the new people this year... the family continues to grow.

I don't know what we are going to do at this point... where and when... rather a Spring DW will be added. I do know we will always have a DW at Cooperland in Late September/Early October, the tradition is set, who knows, maybe it's just Okie's family and the mods.. if that's the case.. so be it. We'll be there riding, camping, bench racing and having the time of our moto lives... you are all welcome to join us :)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Okie said:
We'll be there riding, camping, bench racing and having the time of our moto lives... you are all welcome to join us :)

I'll be there, broken legs, broken bike, sleeping in a burlap sack, whatever, that was the best time, with the best people, I've ever been involved with. Buster Who, Here I come!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Okie, are you saying that possibility of moving DW to the springtime is squished? Or, just that no matter what, Spring DW or not, there will be a gathering in Sept/October at Cooperland?
I know it's a long trek for me and the rest of Rhode Island (Sam, Roo, Dave, Cheryl, and Paula), but I like Cooperland. I don't feel the need to change the venue. Just the date.
I am being totally selfish by posting this. I know it. But don't much care.

Last edited:

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Okiewan said:
A spring DW can happen... I'm saying DW/Fall/Cooperland will NOT go away.

Plan on seeing some of the DW04 crew from LA in 06. I will tie them up and drag them down there if I have to. Then they can go to town and thank me by buying all the daddy pops. :)

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
wardy said:
There is a place in Columbia MO, which has a pretty good MX track, its a riding park supported by the state, camping hook ups, etc. They host a few races a year there and may not be "exclusive" but during the week likely not many ride.
It is really hard to beat Cooperland.

Wardy, "Finger Lakes" is the place your talking about I believe? Your right about it being State operated, they host the Missouri State Hare Scramble and Motocross races there.

http://www.mostateparks.com/fingerlakes.htm

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
D Lafleur said:
Plan on seeing some of the DW04 crew from LA in 06. I will tie them up and drag them down there if I have to. Then they can go to town and thank me by buying all the daddy pops. :)

Tails and Trails :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
After reading up on the FInger Lakes place, it looks to be a winner.

MX track, with a kids track...70 miles of trails...camping area that is connected to the trails and tracks...hookups....$3 a day to ride both trails and track...

dead smack in the middle of the country....

(shrug)

oh yeah...and lots of water for the Mayor! :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
my riding partner and i go to tennessee , the last week in march or first week in april, while its still too cold to camp and the trails are still full of snow in michigan. its a real cure for the winter blues and tides us over til the season starts up here

just a thought about timing

heres the links
this is our bike area which after experiencing this i have no doubt i could ride a harley on michigan trails :nod:
http://www.coalcreekohv.com/index.htm
this is just in case you have a jeep thing also ;)
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/mtnbike/royal.html

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Jaybird said:
After reading up on the FInger Lakes place, it looks to be a winner.

i've been there. kendall raced a loretta's area race there earlier this year. it's an old abandoned strip mine. the facilities are decent, including real bathrooms. the track had a pretty good layout but was very hardpack. i didn't ride it but kendall said it was fun (it looked fun). it is NOT cooperland dirt but i've always liked hardpack anyway. the trails wind up and down and through the old stockpiles of dirt, gravel, etc. leftover from mining activities. it appeared to generally be very heavily wooded. it's close enough to town and stores, etc. to make extended stays doable. overall, i think it would be a good place to have a group ride, just don't use your new tires.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
motometal said:
would there be enough room to hold a group our size?

yeah, there is more than one camping area, if we needed the extra space. i don't think the areas outside of the track have any facilities though. i don't even remember if the track pits had hookups, i don't think they did. maybe the site has that info?

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Finger Lakes sounds cool.... we'd be there! :cool:

Top Bottom