JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
The office to get your permit is in Pottsvile proper just down the street from D.G. Yuengling Brewery HQ. The riding area we have been riding is in St. Clair Pa Just a few clicks North of Pottsvile. Just google maps St Clair pa. Its just south of 81 on Rt 61. North of 209, North of 78. The parking area is about 2 miles off rt 61 just out of town.

Just checked it out, its about 10 miles S S,W Of Paragon.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Thanks Jason. Is there camping around...ya know, the kind with flushing crappers and showers? :)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I just googled coampgrounds st clair pa and found 2 with in 5 miles.
http://www.christmaspines.com/ near blue mt looks well equiped and Locust lake (no site found). Our old friends at Red Ridge are only about 10 miles away. About the same distance they are from Paragon. Could even split up the riding if we rode more than one day.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I think a spring ride at RAC might limit some people. Everybody would have to be there at least by friday afternoon to get the permits to ride the weekend.

I am all for a spring ride, but think it would be better to have it at either 8B's or lost trails so people who can only make the weekend can still come. My vote would be for lost trails, but thats only because its a shorter drive for me :laugh:

Hopefully before too long we will have word on a possible Paragon reopening, I don't think its too far off. Can't get into too much detail since there are still court cases pending, but I'll let you guys know as soon something is definite.

I'd also like to check out Thomaston Dam sometime this summer if anybody is up for a day trip or weekend in Connecticut.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I posted this at the begining of the thread:
In April there is a 2 day ride up near me in Hancock, NY. It's put on by the same group that hosts the one of the National enduros. It's called the Good Kuggamugga ride and it is on April 18-19th. Here's the web site http://www.bearcreeksportsmen.com/

I have been trying to contact them about camping. When I went a couple of years ago it was very primitive but there are a bunch of hotels in town. I wasn't going to get everyone going on it until I got more information but now is a s good as any.

I went with eldrm (remember him from Modena years ago?) and his friend and we had a blast.
I haven't heard back about camping but there are some cheap hotels in town. I plan on going anyway so if anyone is interested, let me know. It will be my first time on the bike for nearly a year so bring your camera ;)

RockRockRock

Aug 31, 2008
Great info, thank you. I too am interested in thomaston damn for a weekend. I'm sorting out the details for the reading permit, should have that by the end of the month. I loathe to have to take a day off to get the permit... but if that's what I have to do....

BGMRC

Jun 6, 2008
Reading Anthracite Company
200 Mahantongo Street
Pottsville, PA 17901
570-622-5150 or 1-800-654-7792
Ask for Donna

You have to go in person - Monday through Friday, 8 to 4:30 to read and sign the permit/waiver form. And make sure to have your drivers liscense with you.

do i need to be legal to ride here Jason???

thanx
marc

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
No you dont need to be legal. ATVs need to be registered, bikes do not.

BGMRC

Jun 6, 2008
thanx scooter!!! ^^

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
RAC area

Hi guys
Jason the rides you've been taking with us so far at least with you along have been on land that two local clubs also run both the Broad Mtn Enduro and the Shot Gun Enduro. You have been on rides that cover an area about 5 square miles (wait just remembered the ride where you and I went down behind the fire tower) Now that was a very interesting downhill over some serious drop offs that seemed to go on forever so lets say maybe 7-8 miles that is only a very small part of their land I'd say they easily have over 300,000 acres thats avaiable for the small price of 100.00 per year. The trails are endless and I'd say I have tracks that are at least 100 miles of some of the most incredible single track anywhere I have riden to date. Just to give you guys an idea the whole area of Paragon would be like a parking lot at RAC. I personally look forward to much more exploration of the land they have there and welcome all the company that wants to tag along. The one important thing to remember there is that you are of course totally on your own or at least with your group they offer no support or medical help but you are close to some sort of local roads most of the time. The area lends itself to some awsome hill climbs tight single track open fire cuts you name it it's there. If you haven't got it yet I think it's the best resourse we have in the area and it's just up the road from CABELA's on 78 by about 1/2 hour. Look forward to seeing some of you out there and I'd say by Mid March the ice should be gone. Jason you missed a great ride yesterday get the bike ready for next week. :nener:

rm125dd

Feb 15, 2009
scooter1130 said:
No you dont need to be legal. ATVs need to be registered, bikes do not.

i am new to pa and knew that atvs had to register and seen that bike do not have to so you are saying that i do not have to register my rm 125 to ride on public riding areas ??? is this correct

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
No, all I am saying is that to ride at Reading Anthracite, you do not need to be registered. Most public lands in Pa which are open to ATVs, are not open to bikes.

As for private areas in Pa for riding,(rausche creek, tower city, lost trails, rock run, etc) each area will vary, but other than for sanctioned Enduros, most do not require bikes to be registered.

I will probably make 1-2 trips to RAC this summer, but the majority of my riding will be at lost Trails since for me it is much closer. If anybody wants to join me, let me know, I am there almost every weekend.

Also its great to see that RAC is not limiting their permits to 100/200 this year like they have in the past. They are selling an unlimited amount of permits this year for the first time.

rm125dd

Feb 15, 2009
have you ever heard of the majestic trails i am thinking about going up there to ride and it is public and it is about 2.5 hours from me just wondering if you or anyone has ever heard of this place or have been there to se if it is worth the trip

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I have heard of majestic trails, but never been there since its about a 7 hour drive for me. And although it is open to the public, it is still privately owned.

By public I was refering to state land, and private I meant privately owned property which is open to the public.

You may also want to check out Rock Run, again, I have never been there, but if the zip code in your profile is correct, this would be closer for you than Majestic.
Click here for info

Last edited:

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
I know they were trying to do away with the need for insurance, but it was the property owners who required it, not the park owners. As of right now, I don't see that listed in their rules and regulations, so its possible its no longer required, but its never bad to have anyway.

Even if it is still required, they have always allowed first time visitors to ride without it so they could check out the park, and if you were to return a second time, they did require it.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Let me know when, and if I'm free I can show you guys around.

rm125dd

Feb 15, 2009
do you have a site or anything on that rock run would like to look in to it and see what it is all about you never know might try to get a few of us out there to ride but cannt make fun of the new rider (me lol ) lol lol :)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
scooter1130 said:
Also its great to see that RAC is not limiting their permits to 100/200 this year like they have in the past. They are selling an unlimited amount of permits this year for the first time.

Yeah I think thats why most have never herd of it. The permits sold out so quick it was more like an exclusive club. I think they did 800 last year and then when they sold out they just kept on selling more.
CRF guy Im surprised you went out, it was kinda cold here but did warm up from 1 to 4. I got alot of wood cut and split so I still got a work out.

Any word on PAP?

Top Bottom