Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Nah, it aint snow, I got some bad gassssssss

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Got a nice day in at Bonners today with CRF guy and co. The trails are in fairly decent shape. We found a nasty single track section with lots of low and downed branches that got the bikes and riders nice and warm! I was surprised with all the wind we had it was not worse with blown over trees. A few here and there. We saw no one all day. We herd some riders while we were sitting on Cherokee hill but other than that, it was like having the whole world to ourselves. We had 5 good riders all about the same pace so it was a great day. Steve's KTM 450 is still having oil issues despite a brand new motor but he road like a hero today. He made this little climb line we all had a problem with due to crazy quick sand like soft coal shale very loose at the top, just when you thought you were about to crest and let off the gas your bike sank!. He took this crazy off camber line on the big Nurock, rock face wall just by the coal road gate. The rest of us were sitting on Coal road with our jaws on our gas tanks going what the FFFFFFFFFFFF is he doing! All this on a cut suspension bike!
Sorry to the guys on here I normally email before going up there but it was an early morning change from South NJ due to Radar and forecast.

2strokeff54

Mar 3, 2009
any of yall ride the barrens anymore? last i heard it was shut down but havent heard anything further. i ride at the D.O.D in jersey i am not sure if we are aloud there but the NJ state cop we talked to didnt bother us for it. I am lookin for some more places to ride, might be going to woodbine in southern jersey at some point but the barrens sound cool for riding and gettinn to open the bike up a bit.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
We ride the pines when its cold. Chadsworth area.
Rock, I just got mine on Friday, #720. We had to bag riding lat weekend though :(

53fireman

Apr 2, 2009
CRFguy, where do you guys park when you ride the single track stuff and hill climbs? Burma Road? heard of some issues with guys parking there and getting vandalized and such... I'm interested in getting the RAC permit, but they don't have maps or anything, and the schuylkill county parcel locator website they send you to is about impossible to navigate... I've heard St Clair and Trevorton are 2 of the larger RAC areas to ride, but don't know where to park or anything like that

RockRockRock

Aug 31, 2008
2strokeff54,

When was the last time you rode DOD? And what did the cop say? I used to go there alot, took a hiatus, and now that I ride again, they put up a nice big sign there that scares me.

I got a ticket @ Penns Grove for 'driving on a closed road' (cop waited for us to load up and leave) and the officer suggested DOD but like I said... that sign is a deterrent to me. I don't know the penalty for trespassing and I don't really want to find out.

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Hey fireman
We park on Berma rd and have been doing it now for the secod season. We have had no problems with parking there and have met many good people there. They are really cracking down on non permit riders so if your going to go there spend the 100.00 it's well worth it. I've spent at least 40 riding days there last year and have never stopped finding new trails and riding areas. the place is huge! I've ridien in the Broad MTN and shoot gun enduro both of which are run on the property. I can't believe what a resourse this place is for our community. Jason, Steve, Brad, John and I found something like 30 miles of new sigle track we've never been on Sunday. There's something there for everyone no matter what your skill level is. The big down side would have to be they are only selling you a permit giving you the right to ride the land but you are trully on your own. If you get hurt out there it will be up to you and your buddies to get you out unlike some pay for play parks.

We tend to ride what I would consider to be Intermediate to an advanced pace with good solid skills on rock, coal silt and hills needed but we would welcome anyone with a valid permit to join us out there.

Gordon

53fireman

Apr 2, 2009
thanks for the info. I might be heading up to Pottsville on Thurs to grab a permit. A couple of us are heading to 8 Bees again on Friday

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
How did you make out Fireman?
RAC Sunday Sunday, Sunday. 10 AM Burma Rd. Kids Tickets still just 5 Bucks!
But they have to be 8 pointers or better.... :nener:

53fireman

Apr 2, 2009
Well the weather forecasters aren't so good at what they do, so when they were calling for snow in the AM and rain all day in Hazleton, I decided to bag that trip on Friday, which meant I didn't head to Pottsville on Thursday. So naturally, it turned out to be a beautiful day and my uncle and his buddy had an awesome day out at 8Bees. I made it up to Nesquehoning this afternoon and we got a solid 4 hours in, so my weekend wasn't totally shot. I'm off next week, so I'm gonna get up to Pottsville for a permit. Sunday would have been out anyway, heading to MD for Easter lunch. I'll be in touch, because I definitely wanna get up and check out the RAC areas.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Sorry you listened to the weather man! :bang: I just take a look at the radar and get about 90% accurate within 12 hours. Thats about 200% better than the TV. There is a dual sport in NY next weekend or we may hit RAC depending on the weather.

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
hi guys where i live in kulpmont near shamokin. there are lots of places close to ride 2 blocks away from me are many trails and about six blocks away there is a place my son calls the desert with lots of coal hills to climb and many trails..if you like climbing hills come to the desert sometime.. if there are some older riders here that remember the natalie pit its close to there. the pit was filled in many years ago tho.

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Rac

Had another great ride at RAC Yesterday. Brad, John and I found about 25 or so new single track miles of some very good stuff. All in all it was a very good day with only one break down of a Honda clutch cable. Interesting ride back. We did about 35 miles total and rode for about 3.5 hours with very little stopping except for John's clutch.
Guy's get your permits

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
JasonJ said:
...There is a dual sport in NY next weekend or we may hit RAC depending on the weather.
Jason, where's the ride in NY? Is it the trail ride in Hancock?

Man, I feel WAY out of the loop. I was on the bike a few weeks ago after no riding for over a year. I cut some trails behind my house but was very much out of shape. I was going to do the trail ride in Hancock this coming weekend but between being sick all last week & being out of shape and I'd have trouble just getting the bike unloaded!

This RAC place sounds like a blast but I have to get back in shape first.

flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
Hello DYDR crew, it's been a while.

Anyone going to the kuggamugga ride this weekend?
I may show up with a few guys on Sunday.
I was planning on bringing them to the AGP race but
it was cancelled.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
flyinzuki said:
Hello DYDR crew, it's been a while.

Anyone going to the kuggamugga ride this weekend?
I may show up with a few guys on Sunday.
I was planning on bringing them to the AGP race but
it was cancelled.
Hey bud, it has been a while! I was going to go to the Kuggamugga ride but can't now. That ride is a blast. If you haven't been there before, watch closely for the arrows that point to the place. I missed one and it took a while to find it. If you go under the interstate before turning off the main road then you have gone too far. You have to make the last left turn before going under Rt 17. The arrow is usually on the right hand side of the road. Then there is one more arrow down that road to turn left again on a dirt road.

Have fun!

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Hancock ny

I was planning on going up there with the gang this weekend but after remembering there is only 30 miles of trails on this ride I'm going to pass on that long of a drive since RAC is closer and there are 100's of miles of single track to be had.
The Suzuki Dualsport ride in Hancock NY in August is a blast with over 100 miles of trail and I ride that for sure. It's not like I'm thumbing my nose up at this weekends ride of only 30 miles its just that for me its not worth the drive. Enjoy if you go!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Looks like great weather for Sat! Neal is talking about 8B's on Monday. I'm keeping an eye on the weather but as of now it looks like cold and rain for Monday.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Epic freaking ride today. Fantabulous weather. We had 4 guys but a 5th stranger showed up. Turns out he is from right up the road from where I live and does not like to ride alone. He promised to take us out on some new single track. Darell asked if it was single track as in no quads. Kevin assured us, NO Quads could run them. He was right, and one hell of a rider too! This guy started smoking us and throwing us on some really really tough but awesome single track. Just lots of tight turns and lots of quick elevation. Some really hard single track climbs and decents. But a great day on new single track and some old. I'm really tired! First full hard out day, as far as an AM ride, refule, and a nice PM ride.

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
too tired to post yesterday

Jason I'd have to agree. great day and that Kevin Windom guy can sure ride. Seems like we all had a little tough time at one point or another. mine was on the hill climb that we could either go left or right and I choose right only to start a head high wheelie about 15 feet from the top with the choice of getting off or having the bike chase me down the hill. Some how I managed to make the dismount look like a planned move and avoided getting hurt. Steve had several interesting mishaps but the most entertaining and I say that only cause he didn't get hurt, was the slide down the big steep silt hill with the bike chasing him right from the top. Your's of course would have been when kevin threw that log at you at that creek crossing just before the uphill. Darrel's was unfortunately a little more costly on the body wear and tear. Seems on the last trail of the day Darell who I would have to say is the strongest rider in our group was chasing Kevin down just trying to get a glimpse of that orange blur. He must have zigged when he should have zagged and wound up doing the superman through about 6 trees. bike was ok but as he said "someone rung his bell" Still haven't heard back as to how his ribs are today but hope he's ok! . Other then that we really did have an awesome day, about 33 miles with our new riding friend and his tour. By the way he's one of those crazy Hair scramble guys.
So has anyone bought their permit yet and want to join us?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Oh man, that log was crazy. I have to say that was the most crazy obsticle I have ever faced. It was a tricky uphill water flowing wash out. You could opt to ride the wash out line or there was a decent few lines around it but with heavy spring non cut leaf fall all around.
" I tossed my front end hard later in that thick leaf pile while running hard! You know when you have to ask your bud to stuff your stuff back in your back pack it was a decent roll."

I was ripping as hard as I could to stay on Kevin Windam's wheel and lines and try to make them work for me and he was about 3/4 up the hill when I was leading into it, I started my charge just as he wheelied and bunny hopped a 12" dead fall log about 30' long that was straight across the trail. That log started rolling straight down the hill at me covering all my lines! I thought I would just try to pop over it as it rolled down but as it got closer I lost my nerve and saw it just steam roll over me so I picked the cloesest LARG tree and shot off to the lower side of it as the rolling log came to rest perfectly across the hill. My bike landed in a cradle of criss crossed logs on the side of the hill but I landed safe. It was quit a wrestle to pull the bike out of that mess. The guys behind me were just as whooped as I was trying to keep up with Kevin so it was up to me to pull the bike loose. I even went above and beyond and pulled the turn pike log off the trail. We took a special rest break at the top of that hill. I needed the air and Kevin needed a smoke..... :bang:
No kidding, that guy smoked 2 cigs as I was cathing my breath! SOB..And I like to think Im in decent shape and I DON'T smoke!
Thanks for the awesome ride Kevin. I dumped my bike 1 time, did not make 1 hill, and bagged off (got stuck) once. all in the same ride.
That means I road hard, and got better for my mistakes by following better guys without getting hurt. Thats a GOOD ride
Steve had a great ride. That down hill was quite hard. We were at the top of that hill and could not See the bottom much less the next 10'. It took all the compression brake my motor had, all the front brake I dared to pull and all the back brake you could give with out letting the back of the bike rotate around. When you start getting crossed up on a big down hill like that it takes tons of guts to either let off the brakes, and or give it gas to get it straight!
To his credit, when Steve was asked why he tossed the bike at the top of the hill he said "just lucky I guess!"

Top Bottom