CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Saturday 6/6

Looks like a RAC ride for Saturday 6/6 Meet ready to ride at 10am. I'd love to think I could fit in Sunday as well but need to get some work done around the house :yell: Starting to think Steve might have it right living in a Hotel.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Im out for Sat. Just found out we are spreading my step dad's ashes on Sat. To bad he was not a dirtrider! :ride:

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Broad Mountain Enduro

Looks like Steve and I might stay over for Sunday's Enduro. The RORR is running the BRoad Mtn Enduro this weekend. Their website is rorr.org if anyone is interested.
This is from their website
A Valid Motorcycle Operators License MUST be presented on Request. License plate MUST be affixed to rear fender.<=
Requirements: All riders must have a valid motorcycle operator’s license. All bikes must have a spark arrestor and license plate
firmly attached. All bikes must have a headlight and taillight. All entrants must have a valid AMA card and an ECEA License,

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Tomorrow

Meet ready to ride at 10:00am Berma Rd. We will be riding the other side of 61 out to the west possibly go to the 901 pub for lunch. I've been told the single track over there is awesome so Id like to go check it out. I have no idea what to expect so.... Bring your wet gear as it might rain and make sure your bike is ready. :ride: Let's go have some fun!!!! :cool:

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Great ride and look into new riding area

Hey guys my guess was right about there being a bridge across that creek. Appears they built a bridge completely across using a sheet of steel and removed it after the race. So the way we went across the Hwy will be the only way to get there. I would still like to go back and hit some of that stuff fresh next week. From what I can see on google earth that main coal road will take us just about straight out to the 901 pub so there must be some really cool single track to be had without the tougher roller coaster stuff with the all the off camber ridge riding although Im pretty sure if we had ridden that trail the other direction it would have been much easier and everyone would have enjoyed it better. Spoke to Brad last night and his back was feeling much better, anyone think it might have had something to do with the medicine plant he dug up? I have a great idea for Steve and his directional problems. We could use something like a GPS homing beacon on him so we don't loose him in the woods next time. We really need to be more careful about the guy behind us and make sure to wait for him. I will never leave anyone in the woods or just ride off if I don't hear the guy behind me or see him when I look back. Rule of thumb is if we get to an intersection and we don't just go straight through it you wait for the guy behind you to see you turn. The reason we lost Steve was that he came out of the single track and no one was waiting for him so he just crossed the main trail and kept going straight on the single track as he has always been told to do. This should be a good example of why I say "wait for the guy behind you before you turn" This needs to be the way everyone is in our group. If you just stop I or anyone else out front will circle back no exceptions. It's much easier then spending time looking for someone and cell phones don't always work out there. So come on guys watch out for the guy behind you Please. Imagine yourself in Steve's position what if he got hurt and had little or no idea where he was. This is why we we come out of a section and I ask where the guy behind is and you say to me I saw him just behind me and after sitting there for considerable time I start to worry about that rider. We're not racing out there we're just having fun so keep the rider behind you in mind.

Looking forward to next week! See you there ready to ride 10am Berma RD Saturday

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
CRFGuy said:
I have a great idea for Steve and his directional problems. We could use something like a GPS homing beacon on him so we don't loose him in the woods next time. We really need to be more careful about the guy behind us and make sure to wait for him. I will never leave anyone in the woods or just ride off if I don't hear the guy behind me or see him when I look back. Rule of thumb is if we get to an intersection and we don't just go straight through it you wait for the guy behind you to see you turn. The reason we lost Steve was that he came out of the single track and no one was waiting for him so he just crossed the main trail and kept going straight on the single track as he has always been told to do. This should be a good example of why I say "wait for the guy behind you before you turn" This needs to be the way everyone is in our group. If you just stop I or anyone else out front will circle back no exceptions. It's much easier then spending time looking for someone and cell phones don't always work out there. So come on guys watch out for the guy behind you Please. Imagine yourself in Steve's position what if he got hurt and had little or no idea where he was. This is why we we come out of a section and I ask where the guy behind is and you say to me I saw him just behind me and after sitting there for considerable time I start to worry about that rider. We're not racing out there we're just having fun so keep the rider behind you in mind.

Looking forward to next week! See you there ready to ride 10am Berma RD Saturday

Wise words, I wonder why you keep riding off the front of the group smackass :pissed: ? It does not matter if the lead rider sees the next rider if one of the guys behind him is slower, the group will loose contact on the faster pace. You have to wait until the first rider sees the last rider. The larger the group, the more important. I was riding the "gap" Saturday, and a few times when we made a turn, I stopped and lost contact with the front group well before seeing the rear riders, So I had to try to close the gap and a few times had to guese or figure what way you went. If your riding faster in front than the slowest guy, you will have to wait for the LAST guy unless your going straight.

Hey I think its Garmin that makes the Rhino GPS radio's. Two way radio set that transmits, and receives GPS fix from other Rhino's. Might be a good Idea. Your right that someone could get lost to the point of just having no idea where they are.

53fireman

Apr 2, 2009
I was in front of him and did wait, but the group made 2 consecutive turns, the left out the single track, and then the right on the bigger trail (both of which had options on which way go). So I figured since we discussed "getting out of the rocky single track" and finding better stuff, I waited at the 2nd turn. Oh well, all turned out well. I can't ride Saturday, so hopefully Sunday will be ok weather-wise and I'll find myself riding somewhere, or I might have to actually get out on that waverunner of mine.

Last edited:

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
No finger pointing

"So I figured since we discussed "getting out of the rocky single track" and finding better stuff" Im sure you thougt Steve saw you but he sort of rides with his head down sometimes and just looking forward like a horse with blinders on. Anyway it happens no big deal and no one got hurt.

Really doesn't matter how it happened just trying to avoid it in the future. We all really to need adhere to waiting for the guy behind you unless there are no turns. I've been out on rides with over 15 guys and we had no trouble by sticking to this simple rule. Hey Im guilty of riding too far out in front and will try not to do that in the future.

Now as far as getting out of the rocky single track I thought Darrell picked up that one rock we saw all day so what are you talking about? :nener:

Don't know about the rest of you but Saturday rides seem to work best for me although on occasion I can get away for both days. :ride: let's ride

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You guys are a bunch of crazy men. I'm glad you didn't lose Steve permanently! :)

Jason has a good point about the "wait for the guy behind you" plan. All it takes is one person to not look back and the whole thing goes to hell. It's not a race but it's sure fun to fly through the trails so I can see how it can be a problem. I've been on both ends of it...getting left behind and being the one to be leading when someone gets stranded. Not fun for anyone.

Part of the problem is having to wide of a gap on the riding skill levels within the group. The faster ones get frustrated with waiting for the slower ones and the slow ones feel guilty for not keeping up. The difficulty of the terrain makes it even worse. I always joke while we are waiting for someone to catch up that their punishment for being slower is that they don't get a chance to rest when they catch up. Funny when I'm waiting but not when I'm the guy being waited on. ;)

As I get older I find that I'm not as willing to push my limits as I even did a few years ago. As a result I'm leery about holding anyone up and I'm less incline to tackle some of the nasty stuff that I used to.

Maybe you should run a tether between everyone like they do in mountain climbing :laugh:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
RM_guy said:
You guys are a bunch of crazy men. I'm glad you didn't lose Steve permanently! :)
Maybe you should run a tether between everyone like they do in mountain climbing :laugh:

We tried that but the cable got caught in Steve's Wheel. It was a mess. I was going to zip tie a paint ball gun to my fork and Poker run mark the trail at every turn.

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
"As I get older I find that I'm not as willing to push my limits as I even did a few years ago. As a result I'm leery about holding anyone up and I'm less incline to tackle some of the nasty stuff that I used to."

So old man when are you going to join us? We have an awesome group and ride every weekend, pick one and come on out.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'd love to but I don't know when I can make it. I have some nice trail right out my back door so it's hard to justify traveling 2-3 hours. I do miss riding with you guys though. Too bad they don't have a day pass at RAC.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
They do but it was two weeks ago for the Broad Mt Enduro. By the looks of the some of the trail we saw looks like it was HARD! Something like only 60 out of 400 finished if I recall right. Some day I'll wake up early to ride it maybe. I don't ride well before noon though, just not awake yet.....

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
80% chance of Thunderstorms

Looks like Im going to cancel for tomorrow since their saying 80% chance and it's not worth the drive for me at that level. I'll chance it up to 40% maybe even a bit higher but 80 is not worth the risk. :bang:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
yeah but we need the rain. Have not had any in a while, its been like 2 hours or so....... Good thing its been overcast and humid.

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Can you believe it might be a nice weekend ahead?

Looks like it might be a nice day Saturday so get your bikes ready. Meet as usual Ready to ride 10am berma rd. :ride:

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Did you say you were 28 or 58? Brad goes out all night in the city and still makes it out there and he's 2 hours away. You should be ashamed of yourself. I have a feeling if you don't make it now the "old guys" will never let you live it down.

53fireman

Apr 2, 2009
:blah: :blah: :blah: haha, 29 now... the wedding's up in Sussex County in dirty Jersey, so I'm not sure when I'm even coming home. Unless I bring the bike to the wedding, and my date riding (I don't know how that'll turn out)... Man, you don't play well with others, haha

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah Im out. I got this nasty bruise on the back of my leg that got aggravated from my riding boots the other week. Its just about cleared up but I need to rest it another full week.
Yes CRF guy I know thats why they make breaker bars for, lesson learned, I do know better :| I just did not act better. The snap on man is going to catch hell for the rachet breaking though :pissed:
Try to play nice.

53fireman

Apr 2, 2009
Looked like an awesome day, hope you guys had a good ride. I could have gotten there around noon, but wasn't gonna attempt to travel solo into the woods to find ya.. Oh well, I'm on vacation for over 3 weeks coming up, so I'll be getting out

Top Bottom